About Me

My photo
Downtown Los Angeles, Ca, United States
hey, im lucy. im 28, born and raised in beautiful los angeles. full time apparel accountant, part time hairstylist, random blogger...

Sunday, February 6, 2011

dating a comedian... no fanny!

i've been dating a comedian for almost 7 years. it's not as fun as most people think. when people find out he does stand up, it's always the same question, "is he funny?" and i always answer, "no."

dating a comedian es no fanny! its actually very lonely. i'm usually home alone at nights while hes out at open mic. so since he stays up late, he's usually too tired to do anything the next day. since we've been dating i grew accustomed to do many things on my own. things like shopping, movies, restaurants, weekend getaways, theme parks etc. you get the picture. but i guess its just something you have to get used to when you date a comedian.

at first i enjoyed going to see his sets. but it can honestly take a toll on you. trust! ive seen so many different comedians over and over that it stops being funny. but if its some one i have never seen, ahhhhh, i get excited cuz i might actually laugh. but unfortunately i stopped getting invites to the shows since he caught me asleep at the jon lovits comedy club. what? it was a horrible show!

i wouldn't recommend dating a stand up comedian. ive met tons of his comedy buddies and they all seem to be the same. they are the most depressed and unhappy people who hate all other comics. ive seem him go through these phases where he seems depressed because he cant think of a new punch line or is so upset that another comedian made it with his hack jokes. he has this white board in the living room where he jots down ideas and weird shit that i don't even understand. can you say decor eye sore??? people who visit notice it and are usually like what the fuck? i usually respond with "i don't know??"

i can actually remember the first time time i saw his set on stage. it was at the comedy store in hollywood. we weren't actually in great speaking terms at that moment, so i was surprised he even invited me. my friend eric went with me, and ohh man was it bad, hahaha its funny now. half way through his set, eric leans over and says to me, "good thing you guys are together any more." hahahahaha he has improved dramatically, but now in days,  if i go to a show, im usually busy looking at how his jacket collar isn't flapped down right to even pay attention to what he's saying. does this make me a horrible girl friend? i wonder how another comedian girls friends are???

so my advice to women out there in the dating scene, if you come across a comedian, one thing you will need is patience, a great sense of humor and always remember there is no such thing as a happy comedian.

my sunshine, my stinky, my best friend. love you.

7 comments:

  1. Hey there woman,

    I do think that it sucks that you need to get used to lonely nights, you know. It's cool and all when you support your man by going to his shows but after you've seen it all I can see how it can get a little stale. I am curious, though, if it's like that with other comedian gf's. That would be an interesting conversation to be had. Later!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My bf's a comedian. He does stand-up and sketch and improve. He actually is hilarious and he's part of a production team as well. He's always super busy and like you said, he has something going almost every night so the days are sleep time. I remember one time he said.. So i'm basically nocturnal now. I try to keep up but I'm in college and i cant go to everything all the time, and i've seen most of it more than once. I know all his friends and they're great. It's like i'm in a relationship with them too. I really support him and his friends but sometimes i wish that when he had a free moment he'd spend it with me.. instead of sleeping or writing on that crazy white board (yes we have one too!!) filling it with post its mumbling about shit i can't understand. But it was nice to see that this is a common problem amongst comedian girlfriends... i guess i'll have to reel in the patience... and the ice cream!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @420Funny24/7 ohh no not the white board!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I am a year and a half into a relationship with a Stand Up and I am shocked there isnt a support network somewhere for being the other half!!! I am lucky that mines seems to be one of the saner comedians out there (dosent drink for starters), but my goodness is it ever lonely....He is away A LOT. And to be honest I don't really like going to his gigs..... The green eyed monster jealousy usually gets the better of me, and i wouldnt want him to be sitting at my desk in work every day so... making plans is impossible, he will not take more than 3 nights off at a time so a holiday is out of the question... I have my own life and I love travelling, but theres only so much of it you can do alone or with other friends...I love the guy in so many ways but I have never been more stressed, worried and suspicious in a relationship.... it drives me bonkers...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey beemer...hahahahha we should start a support team!

      Delete
    2. LETS!!!! for every woman/man who has ever had to sit through a post gig analysis, can fake a laugh at a joke 8 months later...that is thorourly unimpressed by green rooms, that understands the post-it covered walls in the house, that has an amp /mike stand disguised as a table/coat hanger in the living room, that has bits of paper with random scrawls and marks out of ten all over the house, that has a calendar on the wall that is more important than a bible written in the blood of baby jesus, for the man/woman whose sleep pattern is now regular sleeping hours apart from 1am-3am when He comes in to "wind down from the gig"... that just about remembers that really hot kinda funny guy that used to live in the house!

      Delete

say what???

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...